Thursday, February 26, 2009

A blog to procrastinate studying.











- Simha Mudra faces
- Lovies, just finished dinner
- Afternoon juice bar session
- Outdoor yoga shala
afternoon restorative classes
-The shala, Mysore style practice


Weird... I wake up to the sound of Bebe (roomie) getting ready. She usually doesn't wake up until a bit over an hour after I am awake. I gaze to the window shades and realize how much light is seeping in. Shit. I look, I totally set my alarm for p.m. I was hoping to wake up and go over some notes and chant the Triyambakam Mantra three or four dozen times in hopes of a blessing from some god for the first yoga class I am about to teach. The class isn't until 5 p.m, but I am set off my game. Jumping out of bed not able to grab on to the remnants of the dream I was just so deeply involved in; I toss some clothes on and run to pull up the window shade. A single monk crosses in front of my view and I am reminded to keep the peace with in my mind. Thank you universe :)

Surprisingly, throughout the day I was able to keep focused. I knew that not much at this point could alter how my teaching assessment would go in the afternoon. I have now been doing the Primary Series everyday for four months and I have never taught it so... I can't hold too high of expectations. It ended up being fine. Thanks for everyone's words of encouragement and thoughts of love, I am grateful for all of you I received a very good grade, but never have I felt so personality-less in the classroom. There were just so many things we needed to say to pass the assessment that not as many light-hearted comments came out of my mouth as I expected. My teacher's best comments was "I would have left the class happy that I chose to come." The students (3 of my girlfriends who had the "this is my 7th yoga practice in four days and I am bored out of my mind" looks on their faces) best feedback was "that was awesome when you stumbled on how to verbalize where to put the foot and decided that "I don't give a shit where you put your foot but your spine needs to be..." which must have released from my lips during one of the few 'black out' moments of the class! Teaching is more tricky than I imagined. It shall get better, like everything we do, with practice, abhyasa.

Today is Saturday, the time we allow the most growth through a day of rest and reflection. Everyone is in their rooms or poolside studying for our 3rd Exam- The Written. Dun de dun dun. The Oral was today and went very smoothly, and I can't imagine the written to be anything too difficult... which is why I am wasting my time on the computer instead of focusing it on my sanskrit, philosophy, history, and anatomy! With my phenomenal listening and comprehension skills and the knowledge that I will be studying this for the rest of my life, I feel pretty good about this study break ;)

1 comment:

Andy said...

Brittany. SO glad that your first yoga class ever went successfully. I knew that you could do it. I just wish that I was there for the experience. So it is Saturday morning and I should be going to class, but worked late last night and Chirrssy and I decided to sleep in and do a little Brian Kest on our own time today. Then we are going to play it by ear from there. I love your new pictures. It is such a beauriful place! SO LUCKY!!! So I miss you and love you so much and can't wait for you to get here and teach me everything that you have learned. I MISSS AND LOVE YOU!!!!