Sunday, February 8, 2009

Email to my dad on Day 4







Dad,

I am so thankful to be here! My life is changing by the day- not even being dramatic with that statement! Sorry I have not emailed you or anyone for that matter- the schedule is really tight and a lot of information is being given to us so I try to get every bit out of it, study during my free time, and get a good night sleep. So I wake up at 6. Being quiet for my roommate sleeps in a bit longer (BB from Vietnam, she is young and cute but not really into this and has difficulty with the language barrier... I tell her to ask me if she needs any with anything but she is quiet and just responds ‘thank you’.)

Pranayama class (breath work) is at 7 for an hour in the shala. The shala is big and clean and new with huge windows as walls, some of which face the ocean! We have worked on a few breathing techniques this week, some for a cleansing/ purify purpose, some to expand the diaphragm, but all mostly to still the mind and to prepare us to go deeper within. After that we have five minutes until our 2+ hour yoga practice. This is the first week so we started at the very beginning! I have been working on the Ashtanga Primary

Series for only three months now, but I am on the same page as most of the other students in the class- there are definitely people with way more practice, flexibility, strength, etc. but I feel good about where I am at.

The yoga practice has been developing throughout the week and next week we will be doing the "Mysore style" self led practice that I did in India, EXCEPT now I know what I want to be doing with my body and more importantly with my mind! In the first few days here my practice has completely transformed! I can only hope it grows at this rate for the remainder of the month! But I will remember to have no expectations, just dedication and focus.

Two hours for brunch seems to fly by- the food here is the best food I have been served in my life. It is vegetarian, full of flavor, light, sattvic (pure) so healthy and delicious. We are learning about what you put into your body in relationship to your energy you put out, on a much deeper level than calories and proteins.

Everyday we have classes from 12 until 5 with five minutes every hour to stretch. We sit on the hardwood floor during all the classes, which is a real hip opener and work on being still! Classes are focused on Yogic philosophy and history, Anatomy, Practical for the poses (adjustments), Chanting, Kriyas (cleansing techniques).

Two nights we have watched DVDs; one on Ashtanga yoga and the other on a yogic legend. The herbal steam bath is available before dinner and an awesome way to continue cleansing. I have taken two optional restorative classes before dinner as well, which was nice to stretch out after all the sitting. I have never been more attentive in class in all my life. Everything they say I want to hold on to forever, not because it is always profound, but it is simple and inspiring. I am so thankful that my life has led me here to learn from these teachers and in this place!

Oh, the last two night we did a meditation called Tratak where you stare at a candle until your eyes hurt and then close your eyes until the inner light fades. It is supposed to affect you dreams and the first night was so crazy in dream land that I asked to do it the second night and headed up the session! My fellow students are from everywhere, all ages, all types of bodies. I have met a few cool girls for sure but spend most of my time learning and then reflecting. I think it will just get more intense each week. I do have Saturday off and a half day on Sunday.

Thanks for asking about my experience, I can't wait to come home and share what I have learned with all those I love. I am a different person (maybe going a little on the weird side for some Midwesterners!) and it is only day four! More to come later…

Lovelovelove

brit

1 comment:

Andy said...

Brit.

Your new entries were so entertaining to read. It was so good to talk to you last night. It looks like you found your calling in life and i can't wait for you to come back here and teach me all that you have learned. You looked amazing!! Learn, absorb, and love you new life. You deserve it!!!!!

I miss you!!

Happy Heart day early!!!

LOVE YOU!!!


ANDY