Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Evolving as a taxi rider.


Hot pink taxis preface most of my adventures in the city of Bangkok.

I always enter with the formality of "swaa dii- ka" and then continue with my standard Thai baby-babble trying to explain where I would like to go. The taxi's are always clean and smell fresh. The AC is usually pumping, and the drivers often drive as if your destination is the ER. Some taxis keep the decor simple, maybe just a Buddha and some ribbon hanging from the rear view mirror. I have included a photo as an example of how some taxis have a combination of toys-r-us meets McDonald's happy meal toys on their dash board! (The reason there is no driver in the photo?... we stopped for gas. Huh, okay. Meter is running and we are filing homeboy's tank! He knows I'm not about to complain.)
Other taxis have flower pillows or neon lights lining the back window. One taxi I took the other day had a series of "No" stickers, with pictures crossed out with big red X's. The no-smoking sticker was next to a no-farting sticker, and the third sticker I decoded to no grabbing boobs!
Great rules for all vehicles, to say the least.

My first taxi I took by myself I hopped in the car and confidently said, "Phuket."(pronounce poo-ket.)
The man actually put the car in park to get a good look at my face.
What I meant to say was "Pak kret" which is the area in which I live, not Phuket, Thailand's largest Island which is a very popular tourist attraction and a 14 hour drive from Bangkok.
We figured it out. We always do.

I take taxis to a handful of places and rarely does a driver take the same route as the previous ride. At first I had a victims outlook, assuming each driver was trying to take this girl from the US on a ride for her money. If we hit traffic (which is a norm on every route at any time a day,) I would get restless with distrust. If I don't recognize the route (like I should?!?) I furrow my face in a bit of anxiety. I always judged my drivers on the volume of his music, intensity of his AC, and the weight of his foot... unfair, I know.
So what do I stress about? A $7 instead of $6 20+ minute taxi ride to downtown? Really?
Be in the breath Brit!!!

Today was my first glimpse on reaching nirvana in my taxi rides. The driver turned down Soi Somakee, a road I had known as the epitome of stop-and-go traffic. The highway was the comfortable route I had expected. Soi Samakee is a popular side street often packed with cars, motorcycles, dogs, bikers, pedestrians, and once I saw a cow being pulled on a rope. I was immediately suspicious that this guy was bad news. Then he turns down a road I have not seen yet. When the paved road shifts into dirt I start to wonder if I will ever see my family again! Then, my drifting mind focuses on what we are driving by...

A gorgeous glittering temple behind gates. It is ornately decorated, such effort and detail in this huge structure! This Wat (temple) held the standard expectations of amazing architecture and sacred energy.
After we pass it, I realized, that I must begin to appreciate what ever I am seeing, not wishing I was seeing something familiar and comforting (duh, right?) We continue down this "path" that I initially thought was my end and now, I accept as my beginning. Pretty deep...

I can't even remember enough to describe what was in between acres of swamp land that followed this house of god. Communities suffering through extreme poverty. Make-shift trailers where utilities are a luxury. So intense that I have no words as of yet... I will go back and take photos.

Suddenly, we turned off this dirt road and I knew exactly where we were! It had been a short cut and we skipped a highway toll. I squealed, "Kor poon-ka!" Thank you. Thank you for the moment of realization, the view of a life I have never known, a new secret of the road, I thank you!

And now, with or without Bob the Builder along for the ride, I will honor the life of the taxi driver and appreciate the views out of this moving window. (Namaste!)

3 comments:

Lauren said...

what a good lesson for us all! maybe today as i grumble home from the library, burrowed in my scarf, i'll try to stop and look around. or at least take a breath and relax. thanks for the beautiful writing as always sistah!!!

p.s. i laughed embarrassingly loud in the quiet room at the descriptions of taxi decor. way to paint a picture!

Unknown said...

Wonderful insightful writing, thanks.
Paulette

Andi said...

Ahhh Brittany. I have decided that writing our book is going to be a heck of a lot easier that I thought. I have a good memory to recount stories and you are quite the writer. I knew we would be a good team in life.
For real. You are my new morning devotional and it is so great that you can write in a way that puts us all right there. loves.