Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Argentine time

I mean, what’s the hurry?!

Hey, I will be the first to admit- nothing about my life’s time frame is ever in a hurry.  I hate being "time stressed" in my daily activities.  I live a playful life of an adult child- wondering around watching things as they sparkle.  I truly appreciate slow, graceful, and intentional movements.  Yet, I find myself closing my eyes and seeking peaceful mantras in a few separate public places her in Argentina.

#1. The Grocery Store
            I have done it.  At age 15, (when I could only legally work three 3-hour shifts at Knowlans, the neighborhood’s local grocery store) I was the check out girl.  I had to memorized the PLU #s to vegetables I had never seen before, I remember holding up produce to the customs with a questioned look on my face.  “Ginger root” and “kale” did not frequent the Belisle's fruit and veggie basket when I was growing up.  I have deep deep empathy for each and every grocery market cashier I encounter.  I remember the flourecent lights shining above and being outfitted in my "Team Player" green uniform t-shirt.  The hours after people finished work and were about to prepare dinner were the busiest, and there I was, trying to decide if this vegetable in the thin baggie was a leek.  I would glance at the growing line of full carts and baskets- guess who every one is looking at... the girl with the leek and the next 20 minutes of their destiny in her hands. 
 In BsAs, a city I feel I am running to keep up with, I have witnessed the s.l.o.w.e.s.t. movement in humans since watching a child take it’s first step- but this ain’t cute folks.
Breath in peace, exhale love Brit! 
The clerks slump themselves on tall stools with slouched shoulders and a mundane, sad face.  I guess I would be sad too if I had to wear the corny outfit with matching visor.  The cash register itself seems to encourage this speed, needing moments to think in between customers and purchases.  The patrons must not mind the wait either, the line is 15 people deep and I watch each person listen to their total before they begin to reach for their wallet.  Not until after they have paid do they even start to begin bagging their own items.   Bizarre, and I just keep having to remind myself that I don’t have anywhere to be- I am here to watch this exact sort of thing!  The best thing about this experience, is that the grocery stores are a chain with the name "Disco."  I mean, how fun does shopping for food sound when you give the store a name like "Disco"?!  But the cashiers don't agree.  They give you an anger/sad face and wont respond to my four year old pronunciation of "como estas?"  I watch and learn and move on (because what else do we do with life!)

#2. The Restaurant/ Café
            I would NEVER wave down a server to demand their attention towards my presence.  I know this bizz and, usually, understand it.  I find myself baffled after I seat myself at a place where they have table service, and not know if I should get up and retrieve my own menu after having a polite staring contest with all the bored looking employees.  I have learned to wait, this is how the food industry rolls here.  Yesterday, Lauren asked our server for menus and she rolled her eyes at us!  Hilarious.  You can stay as long as you like, even after only ordering something as small as a coffee.  No rush. 
It is a little refreshing to not be stared down as you enjoy your meal slowly, but it's a little weird that once your food is dropped at the table, you will have a hard time finding your server again.  Then, when you are finished, you ALWAYS have to ask for your check ("la cuenta por favor?").  No matter how long you sit, or what you order, you have to find your server and ask for the check.  There can be a line of 20 people waiting for your table, or your seat and you still have to struggle to find your server.  Once they drop your food or coffee off, they never come back.  There is no "is everything okay?" or "can I bring you anything else?" in Argentina!   Just a different experience :)  So, take your time, enjoy!

 #3.  The Hostel Front Desks
            Lauren and I are staring at the girl at the front desk while she is IMing on her computer.
We just returned from a 15 mile round trip hike to a beautiful mountainside and glacier.  Exhausted, we though we would stop by the front desk to quickly before we shower to confirm the reservation for our next hostel that we had paid for prior to the hike. 
She is just typing and giggling away.  We might be starring holes into this woman's head.  Four huge eyeballs are looking deep into the side of her dread-locked head.  I thought maybe she is mad at us or maybe Lauren's spanish didn't make sense... nope, she just wanted to finish her chat before she helped the guests.  It almost seemed like a movie, for a long few minutes  we just stood there, bodies pushing against the counter, staring at this girl... waiting.  Such weird sutomer service experiences!

On the other hand, the buses- are in a hurry.
They will start to pull away from the curb before they safely shut you in the door!  You could be one the first of three steps to reach the driver and he is already cruising to the next stop.  Hurrying up on the gas pedal in order to hurry and hit the breaks!  The taxis, are in a hurry, almost hitting pedestrians every crosswalk.  Road rage is everywhere. It's rather nuts.
Pedestrians, seem to be in a hurry.  Maybe to save time for when they are in grocery.  Tourists are in a hurry, to see everything this enormous city has to offer... I am in a hurry, to head to Pataongia with my sister!!! later :)  xoxo

No comments: