Wednesday, March 18, 2009

how stone can glitter : )









































Did I mention we hit a motor biker on the way in town? No wounds, just a lost flip flop. The first night in town we headed to Angkor Wat to watch the sunset with Terry (our non-threatening tuk-tuk driver with a smile of gold. Not gold teeth, just a nice smile...)

Loads of aggressive sellers pushing merchandise at us before we stepped out of the tuk-tuk and for a few meters up the hill. They are selling guide books for a dollar, bracelets, cold waters, and a bunch of random stuff I can't recall right now. Watching the sunset while drinking cans of Angkor beer on top of a hill holding ancient ruins with Leah and Lexie made the day irreplaceable! The grounds were loaded with people from all over the world, but it felt as if no one else was there : )
The next day we visited the big dog- Angkor Wat itself. This place is amazing and ridiculous. Ruins of an ancient temple, telling the story behind Cambodia- the intense history that is not very old. This temple and a few more stops filled a day of touring in the hot sun. This day focused on the main attractions, the "must sees". Needless to say, it was packed, bu we had two more days to take in all this wonder! Taking a million pictures, trying to not get tourists' goofy hats and big butts in any of the shots and by mid-day the light was so intense that any picture I tried to take was blown out.
It was an exhausting day and we forgot our guide books so we didn't exactly know what was happening. Details! We could grasp how grandly amazing these structures are and how long ago, many people must have dedicated their entire lives to building them.
The next day we were better off and more prepared. We had studied our history the night before and headed towards the sight early (with literature)- for sunrise! A snuggling 15 minute ride in the back of Terry's tuk-tuk. Immediately we were harassed the moment he began to slow down, the shouts of "Lady-cold water!" from the past two days turned into "Lady-hot coffee!" (We are called "Lady"all day everyday and it is truly driving me mad!)

We follow all the gapers into the entrance as the eastern sky tints soft reds near the horizon. The historic temple ruins and magnificent sandstone walkway with large open fields on either side, take my imagination for a ride. The time spent, the lives lived, the stories never to be told... the life and the death of all that have been here. We sit and I think. I wish the people around us would respect a no loud talking rule I made up in my head (I mean, everyone should know not to be over chatty before a certain time in the day... like how about after the sun rises?) So many languages, I am not sure what they are saying, I hope it is philosophically profound and lyrically poetic. I am not allowing myself to be bothered. I just want them to listen, for something right in front of them seems to be tenderly proclaiming something beautiful and important! With all my time alone this past half year, I have come to truly appreciate and enjoy silence. With silence, I can remember my connection with my surroundings, with nature. It also helps me build patience and focus on my breath.
We are all seeing the same sunrise, albeit from so many different angles. With crossed legs and closed eyes, I start my day in my favorite way- a few moments of thanks. I am in the most perfect place right now. I am ever grateful to the universe for every moment in my life leading me here, every joy, every hardship,every lesson that places me at the foot of this majestic monument. Observing the awesome daily ritual of the sun's climb to light up the sky with a perfectly peaceful smile on my face. Nothing happens by chance- let the day begin!

A few of the places we visited that day hit me hard. In the middle of forests stand brick and stone structure towering 3 to 5 stories high. I can feel the centuries of lives that developed around the premise. The hard work that so many lives were dedicated to... for what? A king, god?Every brick laid, sculpture designed, bas relief chiseled was done in the name of god. I imagine the peaceful days of their focused work, the war-filled moments to preserve what they believed in, the love stories... because that is what all stories are in the end... right?

These structures are amazing and should be seen by all. Cambodia is a diamond, Angkor Wat glitters brightly in its center. It feels like a secret and I am one of the special people to have heard it. I recommend you come here- quick!

1 comment:

Andy said...

Brit and girls,

I can't believe that you are in Cambodia right now. Such a trip. Your last couple of blogs sounds like it was such a journey to get there. Even though it is only 9 in the morning here, i want to drink a cambodian beer with you right now. Oh Jackson. What to do today? It is finally sunny and it is finally starting to feel like spring. Oh yes, the mud has arrived and my dog is going to be filthy for the next couple of months. YES!!!! Have such a great time and I am still waiting for those pictures Brit. I miss you!!!

ANDy